Bits and Pieces That Make Me
Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo
Saturday, September 06, 2008
2008 Oktoberfest Shmoeberfest!!!

Yesterday, Karl, Nena (and friends), Rj and I went to San Miguel Avenue, Ortigas in high hopes of watching the 3rd Eye Blind's Oktoberfest 2008 kick off.

We already bought our Php 120 general admission tickets early in the afternoon and didn't think it would make any difference that we arrived at the venue around 8.30 pm. To make the long story short, we NEVER GOT INSIDE. The closest we got was:





This was taken in one of the entrances near Megamall/St. Francis Square. The crowd got really heated and even I couldn't stop myself from going head on with one of the guards. We were asked to transfer (at our own risk) to another entrance on the exact opposite of where we were at. When we got there, the crowd was worse and we were stuck in the middle of the street. At that point, we hesitantly and half heartedly decided to just move on with our lives and leave the darned place. Only to find out later on that the first entrance started to let people in again. (I'm not even going to say arrrgh here because its completely pointless.)

Shortly after we left the second entrance, the crowd got wild and started to tear into the very thin yero stands. Police cars and a fire truck were sent to the area, though I don't think they hosed people off.

Surprisingly, I'm not sorry at all that those people did what they did because in my frustration, I might have ripped into those walls myself. I only hope no one got hurt or was sent to jail. If anything, I blame the organizers (I really do) for such a poorly organized launch. If I had the power (Forgive me, it's my inner He-Man talking now) I would tell all the people inside (via mental telepathy, of course) to boycott the place, and leave altogether. The concert grounds was really squeezed; there were no clear rules on ticket selling; on the spot decisions were made as a last resort and people at the gates were not informed of this (at the very least, if you're spending so much on the production already, what damage would it do to provide the bouncers and the guards with walkie talkies so they are informed and can appease the crowd instead of saying 'I don't know, Sila kasi, etc.')

What makes me angry is this:

1. We frigging pre-bought our tickets (or Nena's friend bought it for us) but the point is, it takes time and effort to buy these tickets in advance.

2. The organizers sold tickets on the spot and only retained one line for those buying tickets and those who already had tickets. I'm not a fan of too much heirarchy but whatever happened to fairness and to people who pre-ordered/pre-reserved having priority over walk-in customers? Call me stupid but is it wrong to assume that if you bought a ticket in advance, that automatically means you have priority over those who don't have tickets yet?

3. No one ever said that entrance to the concert area was on a first come first, first served basis. If that was the case, regardless of whether you already had a ticket or not, then it should have been made clear. Or they should have given a timing of up to when people with tickets can go through an express lane, e.g up to 7.30 pm, afterwhich, the gates are opened to everyone and tough luck if you arrived late.

4. I'm not sure if this is true, but heard from my sister('s friend) that people who bought the Php 1,500 VIP tickets complained that they are paying so much for mere seats and yet Gen Ad people can stand around and still get to watch 3rd Eye Blind perform. So much so towards the latter part of the evening, the organizers covered the 3EB stage area to make it exclusive for the VIP ticket holders. All right... I can understand where the VIP ticket holders are coming from. But then again, in advertisements, the Gen Ad tickets didn't say that they can't watch 3EB at the last minute so why the hell cover the stage up? For everyone's benefit, the General Admission (Longest Bar) Ticket "gains entrance to the longers beer bar section... ONLY to be able to watch the events happening in any of the four stages" (Haller??? I looked at that concert map over and over again and 3EB was part of the 4 stages mentioned.)

In the end, it took us some C2 bottles and a fireworks show to appease us before going to metrowalk to eat and drink the night away.



(Cai, Rj, Tami, Nena, Karl @ Lugawan Republic, Metrowalk)





NOTE TO ORGANIZERS:
For next year's launch, ticket descriptions should read as:

General Admission (Longest Bar) Ticket
- does not guarantee entrance to the concert area and because you scrimped so much on your ticket (screw you!), you should be eternally grateful we're even letting you watch the fireworks.

Marquee Ticket - really I don't know why anyone would want to stay here and watch the concert on TV for Php 300 bucks when (a) you should be where the action is and (b) if you wanted to watch it on TV you should just have waited for it on the news, on cable or on youtube. Whatever... you're paying me anyway.

Gold Ticket - gotcha! you just paid Php 1,500 for a Php 50 seat while the rest of the Gen Ad crowd can enjoy the same show while dancing about! Oh all right we'll cover it up for you. I hope you sleep well tonight knowing you denied hundreds of other people access to 3EB. Sweet, rocking dreams.





posted by Tami @ 3:36 PM  
2 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

About Me: Dum spiro, spero
See my complete profile

Previous Posts
Archives
Links


Powered by Blogger


lunar phases
Template by

Free Blogger 

Templates