Bits and Pieces That Make Me
Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo
Friday, April 28, 2006
I just love singing songs in foreign languages – Spanish, French, Japanese, and German (the latter being pilit and still a work in progress hehe). I sing to them even if I don’t understand what I’m singing, basta I can pronounce it the way it was pronounced in the song. Some of these songs provide English translations. But others, like the Jap anime OSTs I crazed over for years, I never knew what was about, even until now. They probably had translations but I didn’t bother looking for them anymore. I was content singing na lang =) What’s nice about these songs is I enjoy singing them, plus in the process, I get to learn the meaning of foreign words in English or their sentence structures. Plus, when I was singing Jap songs, some of the lyrics were in Romaji (?) while some of the lyrics were only in the usual Jap character type of writing. In my addiction, I actually transcribed the lyrics in Jap character to Romaji just so I can sing it! I had a Japanese book with me and for a few weeks, I was so addicted in transcribing that I was familiar with which symbol corresponded to a particular syllable. Wala lang… kakaaliw hehe :)

My favorite german phrases are: Ich Liebe Dich and Euch Komplett Mich. Ang cute kasi e! They mean ‘I love you’ and ‘You complete me’, respectively. My favorite Jap word is Kudasai. Which means ‘please’ ata. Naglolokohan kami ng mga kapatid ko, kasi yung mga jap anime e mahilig magsigawan. So what if daw some person gave a bloodcurdling scream: “kuudaaaaaaassssaaaaaaIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!” heheh matatakot ka pa sana yun pala e please lang ang sinasabi. Hehe .

Then last year, I was part of a team that organized an event in Jakarta, Indonesia. There was this one delegate, John P. who is Danish but lived for about 6 six years in Indonesia so he knew the language quite well. He must have been thinking that I was Indonesian, because in one of his emails to me, he said “Terima kasih banyak. Thanks for your swift response.” E it so happened that I just discovered this website that translates Bahasa Indonesia to English and vice versa. So I thought magpapasikat ako sa mga Indonesian delegates namin hehe kaya for a time, I was waiting for an opportunity to put it to good use =P I replied to him and said “Adalah kesenangan saya. It is my pleasure” Of course, I just translated that from English to Bahasa Indonesia at the website! Ayan, me and my big mouth, John replied to me tuloy IN FULL BAHASA INDO! Aysows e di syempre wala na akong naintindihan! He said something like he lived previously in Indonesia but haven’t been there for a long time now. But he wants to go back there for the conference and also to visit some of his “taman taman”. E ang linstak na website ang pagtranslate sa “taman taman” is “gardens” so I assumed that he had a house in Indonesia. I replied again and explained to him that I didn’t really know Bahasa but was just translating what he was saying. Then I said (nag attempt pa kasi ako magpacute!) “So, who takes care of your gardens now, if I may ask?” e yun pala what he meant was “teman teman” which translates to “friends”. Ayon… He wanted to visit some of his friends nga naman. he added pa, he hopes his friends take care of themselves… hihihi sobrang hiyang hiya talaga ako nun! After that I steered clear of that translation site unless I really really had to use it hehe =)

But in any case, I plan to take up classes in foreign languages in the near future, kasi wala lang globalization mode ito hehe. I want to be really really fluent in at least 2 other languages besides English and Filipino. Actually hindi nga ako mashado fluent in Filipino e, mas English or taglish. I couldn’t read one paragraph (or even two – three long sentences) na pure Filipino, without stuttering of having to slow down near the end. hoe-well… konti na lang uuwi na ako!!! Yeba! =D
posted by Tami @ 4:32 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

About Me: Dum spiro, spero
See my complete profile

Previous Posts
Archives
Links


Powered by Blogger


lunar phases
Template by

Free Blogger 

Templates